Whatever your parenting style may look like, the term “sleep training” can be intimidating. For some, they imagine babies crying in a dark room all alone and what parent likes the thought of that. Our goal at RMSB is to help you guide your children into a peaceful bedtime and healthy sleeping routines. You may not be ready to work with a sleep consultant and that is completely ok. Let us help you figure out if you’re ready or not!
Why You May Not Be Ready To Work With A Sleep Consultant
- Health Circumstances – There are some situations where sleep training just isn’t in the cards. If your family is navigating health issues that require attention, make that your priority. Once you are ready and your doctor approves, then consider sleep training.
- You Don’t Want To – Sleep training isn’t for everyone. If it doesn’t feel right to you, you will not stick with it. In your parenting journey, do what feels right to you, despite what other parents may or may not be doing. You have to be committed, consistency is absolutely necessary for this process to work. Both parents should be on the same page so that they are working together effectively.
- You Haven’t Discussed Sleep Training With Your Pediatrician – You should talk to your pediatrician before calling us. The pediatrician will weigh and assess where your child is developmentally. Knowing that your pediatrician approves will also be comforting in those moments of doubt that you may experience.
Knowing When You Are Ready To Work With A Sleep Consultant
- You Are Beyond Exhausted – Everyone, at every age, needs sleep to function at their best. Parents need sleep to be able and ready to provide care for their dependents. If you are so tired that you are not able to take care of yourself and your children, you need change as soon as possible. Extreme exhaustion can lead to irritability, anxiety and depression. Your family can and will mostly likely be affected by these shifts in your mental health. This level of exhaustion does not have to be part of your parenting experience.
- All You Can Think About Is Sleep – Once you enter into obsessing over sleep, you should address the reason why. Whether you are thinking about your sleep, your baby’s sleep or the combination, it should not dominate your thoughts. We understand the importance of a schedule but enjoying life should not become overwhelming due to obsessing over sleep.
- You Are Constantly Sick – Your body needs sleep to keep itself healthy. When your body is resting, it has the energy to fight off viruses and rejuvenate itself. If you are getting sick regularly, it can in part be due to a lack of sleep.
Deciding If You Are Ready To Sleep Train
Once again, sleep training might not be right for you and that’s OK! We are not here to push you into something that you are not ready for or wanting. We are here to help parents that are wanting and are ready for change. Before contacting us, take some time to think about your situation and all of your personal factors. If you can’t decide on your own, we are happy to help you evaluate your lifestyle to see if we can help!